Thursday, December 17, 2009
Monday, December 7, 2009
Tuesday: We were going to go to the Moma . . . but it was closed! I was soooo sad. We went to the American Folk Art Museum next door which was awesome. We got Gray's Papaya for lunch and Magnolia cupcakes/banana pudding for dessert before taking a long walk through Central Park. Then, sadly, it was time to go home!
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Friday, October 16, 2009
Friday, October 2, 2009
Sunday, September 20, 2009
Friday, September 18, 2009
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
My first year as a high school representative wasn't easy. Summer was a nice break, though. In August all the High School Reps headed to coporate headquarters in Pittsburgh for a week of meetings. Sounds oh-so-fun, right? It actually wasn't too bad.
At the final banquet, I was pleased to find out that I had earned the Quintessential award. That means I met four of my five goals - not bad for a rookie! Here I am with my bosses, David and Cheryl, and the others on my team who earned this award.
Saturday, September 12, 2009
We dined on several delicious shared dishes:
Chicken liver on Toast
Whole Fried Quail with bacon, sauteed chard, grits and a maple jus (soooo good)
Garlic bread with chorizo and melted petit basque cheese (Yummy! Pictured below)
Branzino fish with farro, rocket pesto, roasted artichocke hearts, pancetta vinaigrette
And for dessert we shared the famed Bacon Crunch Bar. Chocolate and bacon is a very trendy pairing right now, and let me tell you, it was delicious. It really just adds a salty, slightly smoky crunch. Sort of like nuts. They cook the bacon super crispy, so it isn't as meaty. It is a served with a creme anglaise underneath, to keep it from being dry.It was a fabulous (slightly fattening) day! Thanks Aaron for making my birthday spectacular!
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Friday, June 12, 2009
I was really in the mood to stick it to 'em.
I take a walk every day and pass by a "For Sale" sign on Peyton. Every day I tell myself, I really should call them and get some more information. You see, my husband and I have been discussing purchasing our first home. When a "price reduced" sign was added, I told myself, now you really should call them.
Today I finally got around to making that call . . . unfortunately.
Me: Hi, I'm interested in the condo on Peyton.
Agent: Oh, it's a co-op.
Me; Oh, okay. I really wasn't sure . . .
Agent: And you can't just use any lender.
Me: Okay . . . so co-ops are when you don't really own the actual space right? Don't you pay per square foot or something?
Agent: No! You buy shares and have rights to live there.
(Silence again. I guess I'm supposed to say something now? I'm waiting for her to take the next step in the sales process.)
Me: Well, um. Okay. I really don't know too much about co-ops. (Why do I feel embarassed? I'm not supposed to be the expert!)
Agent: It's a whole other can of worms. There are only three or four lenders and you need 10% down.
Me: Ok. Thanks? Bye
She never asked for my name. She never told me her name. She never gave me any CLUE on the price. She never said something like, "If a co-op doesn't sound right to you, we do have several condos and single family homes available. Can I get your contact information so I can get back to you." THAT would have been the smarter sales technique. No wonder that sign has been up so long. Whenever anyone calls they get zero information
I don't understand why I was treated this way. Do I sound poor on the phone? Do I sound young?
It was the equivalent of ordering a large coffee at Starbucks and having the barista roll her eyes dramatically and say, "We don't have a large . . . do you mean a Venti?" The baristas are brats at Starbucks because they spend ALL their time around coffee and expect us all to be experts as well.
But it wasn't just that she did a verbal "roll of the eyes" when I didn't understand everything about condos vs. co-ops, it was just the worst sales and customer service I've ever recieved. In this economy, wouldn't you like to, I don't know, make some MONEY?
Monday, June 8, 2009
1. I was five, about to turn six.
2. I think I took dance classes that year and loved dancing!
3. I went to Shell Beach elementary.
10 years ago
1. I was learning how to drive - the first time my mom took me to a parking lot to drive I couldn't stop giggling.
2. My best friend was Heidi (she could already drive) and we had a lot of fun sleepovers.
3. I failed geometry.
5 years ago
1. It was the summer before my senior year of college. I had to take a few community college classes.
2. I got my wisdom teeth removed.
3. Did I work? I don't really remember!
3 years ago
1. I moved to Ventura for a job, and had an apartment all to myself for the first time.
2. I quit that job after six weeks and instead decided to work at a wine bar.
3. I met Aaron!!!!
1 year ago
1. I was living with my parents, trying to decide what to do next with my life.
2. I interviewed with the Art Institutes - and got the job!
3. I was waiting for Aaron to propose . . . impatiently, I might add. He did a few months later.
This year so far...
1. I got married!
2. We found a church we LOVE and made new friends. It's nice to have "our friends" instead of "his friends/her friends."
3. I am about to enjoy a few months off of work! Woo-hoo!
1. Went to church.
2. We went to the YMCA to workout for the first time. So excited to be members there!
3. Aaron grilled steak for dinner and I made brussel sprouts with bacon and mushrooms and baked sweet potato fries for dinner. Oh, and I made an apple berry crostata for dessert that was HEAVENLY! (if I do say so myself)
1. I don't have to work.
2. I DO need to clean the house.
3. I have a meeting at church for the Social Concerns Committee tonight. We are the people that work on social issues - local poverty, etc. Right now we are working with an organization that houses homeless families in churches for four weeks a year. We are soooo excited to be involved in this and I am looking forward to seeing God's building used as home for those who need it.
1.Will do the housework that I probably won't do today.
2. Have paperwork I need to work on.
3. Going to a yoga class at the YMCA.
1. Hopefully we will own a home - even if it is a tiny condo. Possible we will buy before Dec 1 so we can get the tax benefits.
2. I want a dog!
3. We will take a great trip - maybe Italy or Argentina?
Friday, June 5, 2009
Friday, May 22, 2009
Monday, May 18, 2009
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
We wrapped up the day with dinner at El Gringo. I loved the restaurant's name and their delicious food. We ate sooooooo much! The portions were gigantic. We dined alfresco at sunset - how perfect!