Friday, March 27, 2009

Reward Thyself!

I am seriously losing motivation with my work . . . yet stressing out about how poorly I am performing. So I really need to dig deep and work hard. There are only two months left so I just need to persevere! I need to make 34 more appointments. Doesn't sound like much, but I already feel like I have worked my territory to the bone!

To keep myself motivated, I dedicated a little corner of my "work zone" to serve as a visual reminder to stay focused and knock out those 34 more appointments I need to schedule. I put up 36 mini post-its. When I booked two appointments today I got to take two of the post-its off the wall! It was fun . . .

. . . but I decided to add another element. After each row of post-its, I added rewards. So when I take off an entire row of post-its (six appointments), I get to reward myself. Here is what I have so far:

- 15 minute chair massage
- Go to the movies
- Magazine subscription
- Buy a summer dress

Here's where I need YOUR help! Any suggestions for two more rewards?

5 comments:

BruceandBarbara said...

Sleep in! Have a date with your husband! Give yourself a certain amount of time to be a couch potato! Fly to Oregon and see your other family!

Heidi said...

New shoes, Girls night out with your BFF??? I love this idea, I might have to use it to help myself in a few areas! : )

Anonymous said...

I love it - rewards are fantastic.
I would suggest:
a trip to Nipomo
a new manicure at a new place
a facial
a hot fudge Sunday(sundae?)
a new book
a new scarf
a long hot bubble bath
(i guess you can do that without any special or extra work!)

Amy W. said...

A trip to a used bookstore or an hour of time to read the book or magazine of your choice... can you tell I've been reading a lot recently? :)

This is a good idea, I tend to not let myself do other stuff until I get something done instead of rewarding myself for getting it done. Or I set a timer and make myself focus for only 1-2 hours: if I know the timer is counting down, I know there's an end to the pain. But then, we know that you and I are wired differently - possibly oppositely :)

Love and miss you! Amy W.

Emily Valko Monroy said...

Amy - I do the timer thing too! I usually do it for housework - just 15 minutes or so to clean a room. If it's paperwork stuff or writing, I could NEVER set a timer for two hours. It just wouldn't wokr. I'll set it for 45 minutes, then take a 15 break. You have much better forcus than I have!